Thursday, May 17, 2007

Stem Cell Research

This article describes a break-through in stem cell research. It isn't the life-saving kind of break-through; however, it is a break-through in making sure men can have their hair when they get older.

I'm not totally against this kind of research. I believe stem cell research is important. What I don't believe is the order of precedence that we are engaging in with the research. Curing illnesses that threaten lives is far more important to pursue than curing baldness.

Scientists should find that it is ethically more important to cure diseases that are real ailments rather than a minor progression hair degeneration that occurs in many men and some women.

Then again, at age 35, with long, full white hair - I don't have anything to complain about.

My only hope is that some of the funds gained in curing baldness will trickle to important discoveries with stem cell research like stopping the degeneration of the brain under the balding head while we get older. There will come a time when I don't care about what my hair looks like, but surely there won't be a time when I don't care that I'm losing my mind.

No comments: