Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Camera Storage Capacity to Detail Captured

I recently purchased a new still camera, the Fujifilm S700 or S5700.* This is a 7 Mega pixel camera with a 10X optical zoom.

Our current camera (and we are keeping it) is a 6 MP Fujifilm E550. Part of the reason we purchased the S700, was because it was really cheap for getting a new camera that was newer and better than our old camera.

So, we bought the camer, - it was $220 at BJ's, with a $20 rebate and then we purchased $28 - 3GB SD card to go in it.

2 GB! I hear there are people working on an 8 GB SD card, if it isn't out there already.

So, where is the problem, you say?

Well, technically, there isn't a problem. So far as I can tell, the S700 is a better camera in every way than our E550, with the exception that they are different camera types and the E550 is a slimmer model.

No, the problem is one of perception. I have a SD card, that is 2GB's in size and it will hold something like almost 900 pictures.

Now, I like taking picture, especially of my kids, but the chances of me using 900 picturs in a single setting are pretty slim. The chances of the camera even being able to take 900 pictures on a single charge are also, pretty slim.

So, the problem is this, I think that digital cameras in general, should be able to utilize the storage space they can potentially have. To me that means that cameras should have huge sensors that capture an array of the current sensors data. If you had an array of 4 sensors the same size as the current sensor you would be able to capture a lot more data (and need a lot more lens) and still you wouldn't fill up the SD card with 100 pictures (which is what I take on average)!

These MP monsters would be so detailed that it would be an incredible feats for eyes.

Anyway, overall the camera is really good. I'll probably talk about it more later. Like I said, it handily beats my E550 in every way except for physical size. The photo quality, to my non-professional eye - is great. Very few blurry auto-focus missed shots except when I do a sequence of pictures in a row (an experiment I admit) and the video quality appears to be very good.


*The nomenclature was about as clear as mud. At BJ's it was a S700 on the tag, S5700 on the box. There I was wondering if I had the correct camera. Then, even in the box and documentation there are some discrepancies as to the name of the camera. Good thing it is a good camera or I'd be confused and pissed off, right now I'm just confused.

No comments: