Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Names and US Culture

In my previous post I admit to discovering that I was spelling Du'a Aswad's name incorrectly, which is very disappointing because the events around her death are very poignant to me.

Then I decided to do a little research. I remember specifically looking her up before I started writing articles about her.

I think her name is Du'a Asswad (two s's), but it seems that people have been cleaning it up to Du'a Aswad. Asswad is a mildly mocking thing to call people, but not what I'd consider a horrible profanity.

So, it seems this mildly insulting term has collided with reality and - a nice clean society that doesn't say things like 'asswad' has conquered reality and probably history as well.

It doesn't matter to me, it is just that I felt a little odd to have spelled her name wrong. It is probably all a result of translations of her name which is most probably in Arabic to phonetics that sound like it in English.

No comments: