Monday, May 14, 2007

Something wrong with 'Mom saves Daugter' video on CNN

I watch the news videos on CNN, some are very good and it beats watching TV and commercials.

So, naturally as a parent I am attracted to a story about a Mom saving her daughter - who is 4 years old just as my son is 4 years old.

The story is here . Apparently, a mother loads her little girl in to her minivan and forgot something in the house. She goes in to the house to get it leaving her little girl in the car with the engine running.

The little girl went to change something on the CD player and put the car in gear and launched the vehicle in to reverse where it landed in a lake. The car sunk quickly, but the mother actually saw the car sinking and rescued her daughter.

I am very happy for her and her daughter for surviving.

So, you say, what is wrong with this story?

I'll tell you my surprise to see the make and model of the van that the story is attached to, a Honda Odyssey, and it appears to be the same year as my Honda Odyssey - 2007.

Now, Honda, for more than a decade, locks out the gear selector when the car is in park - unless - you depress the brake. This is not a Chrysler, who claims to be very family oriented, but still doesn't do this on my wife's grandmother's new Chrysler 300.

So, I did a test, I walked out to my car and I turned it on, and without depressing the brake, I attempted to move the gear selector. With all my strength (5' 9", 195 pounds, male, moderate strength) I could not move the selector. I'm pressing the button down and everything. The only way to move it would be to break it, and I'm not sure even I have the strength to do that.

So, someone is lying. Either a) the mother left the car in reverse when she went to get the stuff or b) the little girl pressed the brake when she moved the girl selector or finally the locking mechanism for the gear shifter didn't work (very unlikely).

All I have to say is these people better not besmirch Honda or attempt to sue Honda on this, unless they can prove their claims that the gear shifter locking mechanism didn't work.

No comments: