Monday, May 21, 2007

Anime

Anime has struck a significant chord with me. It started recently with Fullmetal Alchemist. While I had always watched a bit of anime, it wasn't with the avid behavior that I watch it now.

***please note most of the anime I watch is not for children. Some of it is, but this is a general anime entry on the things I like.

I related so closely with the character Alfonse Elric in the show that it was with great horror that I watch as his friend was killed inside his hollow shell. I liked the idea (which may not be true) that the writers were honoring Michael Moorcock by naming the boys last name Elric, which reminds me of Elric of Melniboné from his eternal champion series.

Years ago I saw the movie Ghost in the Shell. It was very impressive, but somehow, I was never the guy to find the specialized shop with the tapes(!) of things most people didn't see here often.

Eureka, I found to be such a great romance story (as well as a great many other things, including some horror elements) and on the whole a message of tolerance an unity between seemingly different beings.

Netflix has been the key to me getting in to anime on a whole new level. Inside Netflix I have explored many series, some good, some bad and many excellent. Some series like Gantz, show exactly what is acceptable in Japanese culture and what isn't in the USA. Gantz is very atheist/agnostic oriented in particular these ideas come out in the second series.

I wouldn't recommend Gantz for anyone under the age of 16. Most people would say older, but I understand and remember where I was mentally at age 16 and that the sex, religion, violence presented in Gantz is something that any 16 year old that hasn't been completely sheltered should be able to watch and ask questions about. Gantz is especially poignant with the trial and prosecution of a 10 year old in the USA along with another child in the beating death of a vagrant (figures in throughout the series).

Too bad, the TV series for Gantz seems to fall far short of the Manga. I have gotten in to reading the Manga for some series and find that the differences are compelling. Just like with books translated to movies there are elements that I wish the Anime appropriately addressed in the Manga. Unfortunately, Gantz is not available in English and the best key to understanding the series is a lengthy Wikipedia entry on the series.

Anyway, this has been a rather generalized view of what I would call my love for both Anime and Manga. It has inspired in me a desire to learn Japanese and about Japanese culture. Hopefully, I'll be able to work on that sometimes. A lot of the time, even though the Japanese pick on the US, I think that the ultimate partnership would be the Japanese and the US. Sometimes, I feel that I would get along better living in Japan, but I understand that just as I don't seem to fit here in the US, I probably wouldn't fit in Japan either, just for different reasons.

I'll write more and more in depth about Anime and Manga on this blog. They are subjects that I would love to share with a great many people, and in writing about the ideas and my own thoughts about these series, perhaps if my sons ever get the chance to read these entries they will understand what I get from these series.

No comments: