Monday, May 07, 2007

Childhood Horror

Ages ago (at least it seems that way) I used to have a recurrent nightmare/waking dream. The idea was very simple, that there were spiders in my ears (or some other insect).

So, a CNN video shows a kid that has lived through it. Apparently, two spiders crawled in to his ears while he was sleeping in the top bunk of his bed. Perhaps, being closer to the ceiling the spiders thought it was an inviting place to live.

His parents took him to the doctor, and flushed 1 living and 1 dead spider out of his ears. Let's hope they didn't lay any eggs.

I think, I've gotten over the horror of what it would be like to have insects burrowing under my skin or in my ears or attempting to eat me. I understand now that this kind of thing happens although infrequently here in the USA.

In Africa many predatory insects eat portions of the human body. Worms burrow in through the skin on the feet and things like that. Heck, there are of course worms that can take up residence inside your intestines. Knowing about the thousands of mites and things like that living in the bed, eating your dead skin, spiders crawling around your bed and accidentally falling in to your mouth at night. I mean, insects are simply something we need to live with, and on a close proximity despite the fact that we aren't really aware how close they are on a daily basis.

So, anyway, have pleasant dreams.

No comments: