Thursday, April 19, 2007

National Geographic

I subscribe to National Geographic magazine. It isn't my favorite magazine; however, every so often it produces a gem that in my view justifies an entire years subscription.

Humans have devised many ways to torture and kill each other over time. Imagine my surprise when not long ago (but certainly not recently) there was a picture in the back of National Geographic that astonished me in terms of how humans can torture and kill each other.

The picture on the last page of National Geographic magazine is typically something 'off the cutting room floor'. This picture that entranced me so much that every time I see a National Geographic magazine I think about it is about a post sticking out of the ground probably 12 feet or so. It bends at the top and has a cage on it that is similar to a bird cage.

However, this is no bird cage. It is a cage to hold a human uncomfortably out of reach of help until they die.

Rarely does National Geographic even mention something so disturbing. It was a touch of reality that made the magazine for me, intense and acknowledging the fact that what they study, human society and the animal realm, isn't always cupcakes and soda.

No comments: