Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mac Mini Problem

Well, as I previously mentioned in this blog, we purchased a Mac Mini for my father-in-law. It works great as a computer except for one major problem. The 17" LCD display I decided he should use over his old 15" CRT, doesn't work with it. After the initial Mac startup gray screen the monitor goes to "No Signal".

So, rather fortunately, we had his 15" monitor available and we connected it to that monitor and it works perfectly. There are a number of blogs and articles out there on this subject, which seems to indicate that there is no solution. A German Company in some articles is referenced as indicating that the signal strength output from the Mac Mini is out of specification and too low to be interpreted by some monitor. Expensive monitors can apparently adjust to the lower signal output.

But, if I was interested in expensive, I'd have bought either the iMac or a more expensive PC and not the Mac Mini.

So, we have been recommended to take both monitor and Mac Mini to an Apple store to have it checked out. I'll keep everyone posted when we actually accomplish this pain in the butt. I suspect though, that there simply isn't a fix for this problem.

No comments: