Friday, April 20, 2007

High Salt Diet Damages Human Body

Recent articles on the web have been indicating that the high amount of salt in American's diet is causing us to die early.

Fortunately, help is on the way. In a recent Popular Science article they described a product that will turn off the bitterness receptors on the tongue. This means that foods will not need as much salt or sugar to be tasty to the human mouth.

Now, what they described was an artificial product and that implies that it could have negative impacts on the human body that are relatively unknown; however, the product is in testing now, and could be released shortly (but oddly enough there is no requirements for it to be on labels of packages of food) and this could be a great boon to humans.

If we can reduce hypertension and other related problems to consuming the amount of salt in our diets, then perhaps in the long term we may be able to live longer happier lives. Not to mention that this artificial product will also enable lower sugar in foods to make them taste good which would have an impact on things like diabetes.

And honestly, I waited until I was over 30 to have children. In 2005 on Christmas my mother-in-law passed away at the age of 60. If my children wait until they are older to have children, I want to be alive to see my grandchildren grow up. I want to be there for them.

Dead people don't do anything. The loss of my children's grandmother will affect them negatively in many ways (including my older son's fascination with death...) and my younger child never actually knowing her. Anything that can increase the duration of our lives so that we can be there for our families, is in the best interests of humanity, in a selfish way, in the interests of those who are related to me.

I guess I feel this is more important since both my grandfathers passed away before I ever really got to know them. Both of my grandmothers were really concepts instead of people that I interacted with.

So, I want my children to have the things I didn't have with that kind of relationship. A relationship in a family way where it isn't just my parents that are working hard to make sure I have a great future.

But already, I have failed in this - at least partially. With my father-in-law over 75 and my parents lackadaisical attitude toward their own health the best I might be able to do is be there for when my children have children.

If I could live for a few hundred years and this kind of longevity would be passed on to my descendants, I would. There is too much to see in this world to be able to see it as a wage-slave and with a limited life-span.

No comments: