Friday, April 27, 2007

Geodesic Dome Home

Many years ago when I was a teenager I was an avid reader of Popular Science Magazine. I still am a avid reader of that magazine. It was there in the back of that magazine that I fell in love with an idea. The idea of a geodesic dome to live in as my house.

There are so many advantages to a geodesic dome compared to a standard one that I find it hard to imagine that people even want the traditional home. In this age, the era of conservation of resources, a home that takes less material to build, consume less energy on the day to day basis and offers more space is more in harmony with world-wide trends.

It seems likely that I may get the opportunity to build a geodesic dome. As long as the local governments do not frustrate me with regulations I plan on gowing forward with this idea. I can't be totally sure of when.

This opportunity offers a lot of elegance as well. An elegant idea to build a geodesic dome as an addition to my wife's grandmother's house - which in turn was built by my wife's grandfather who has long since past away.

It would be a blend of the old and the new. It would offer, with its additional strength, safety in this times of an unknown climate.

It still won't help the fact that we count as a coastal population and that if the seas rise an extraordinary amount it may well be an underwater dome; however, it seems at the moment unlikely that the climate will crash that much.

Super powered hurricanes? Yeah, probably, despite the current idea circulating about wind shearing and the prevention of the formation of hurricanes.

Extremes of weather at odd points in time. Yep, already experiencing that. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, there are quite a few manufacturers of geodesic domes. Currently, we are investigating Timberline domes (the one of two manufacturers of geodesic domes that still advertises in the back of Popular Science.)

No comments: