Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Urusei Yatsura - Those Obnoxious Aliens

I have a new favorite show - and it is Urusei Yatsura.

I first discovered it on OnDemand on HBO - the movie "Beautiful Dreamer".

Excellent movie in the Urusei Yatsura universe - but the wrong place to start watching the show - as it appears to be after the TV series.

So, now I am renting through NetFlix - the TV Show DVDs.

Urusei Yatsura is written/drawn by the same person that wrote Inuyasha - another of my favorite shows. Rumiko Takahashi .

Inuyasha a dark and has its own flavor - one so completely different that Urusei Yatsura that it is astonishing that kind of breadth is contained in a single person.

Urusei Yatsura - of all things is a comedy. I suppose it would be considered an 'R' rated comedy by the sad state of United States of America standards. I believe it was originally designed for Japanese Teens and pre-teens.

It is excellent in the incredible amount of humor in the show - and the humor works so well it works even though I've got to read the subtitles.

So, if you are afraid of a little nudity - or teenagers behaving well like teenagers - specifically boys, but a little bit of the girls as well... I'd stay away from this one.

If you have a tolerance for nudity and don't believe it will burn your eyes out and that seeing what people really are like when they are teenages isn't going to degrade your moral values or the future moral values of your current teenager - I highly recommend this series.

And for everyone that is against this sort of thing because it degrades women etc (with the nudity) I remind you very strongly - this story is written by a woman.

Alex

No comments: