Sunday, March 13, 2005

Things I would like to see in the Future Part II

There is something that I hold particularly close in my mind that I would be enthusiastic about.

I want to be able to change the color of my skin. My skin color is currently a fairly generic brown. Few things do I find more interesting if I could have green skin for a year or blue or red or even multiple different colors for all over my body.

I am not talking about tatoos. Way too permenant.

It would be interesting to see people that look truly different - from day to day. And I am talking about change that would be on the temporary but genetic level. Or even technological level but not something that washes off.

Some people might choose to have skin embedded with Chlorphyll and be green - so that they would not need to eat as many calories during the summer.

If the color change of skin could be managed quickly and without high health risks I could imagine a time where due to politics people would change the color of their skin to show devotion to or for a cause.

In the end, when we have this level of mastery over our appearance discrimination on the basis of race would rapidly become history. Who could tell what race you were if you could change the way you look on a daily or even hourly basis?

Overall, though, order is so oppressive in a species. I mean, how boring can humanity be - the way it is now? Ooooh I think he's a slightly browner brown than he is. Or oohhhh that person has really white skin (not really though) or that person has really black skin (but not really, though).

In the beginning though it might spur off a new discrimination - those for and against changing the colors of your skin. I'm sure they'll have things like - oh its gonna damage your skin and stuff like that on the side of the against. Probably some religious freaks running around telling people how they shouldn't mark their skin because its the mark of the devil (even though many of those people will be wearing tatoos).

Later, though, when it is proven that such changes are not harmful (because if they are harmful what good are they?) - humanity might be a somewhat interesting species to observe and be a part of than the humdrum species that it is now.

Abwägen

No comments: