Monday, January 10, 2005

Observing the sun with binoculars

Well, on the 6th day since I have owned my binoculars - I was finally able to observe the sun with them - and of course the solar filters that are required for not damaging my eyes while observing the sun.

With only 1 observation, I can not say if purchasing the solar filters was a good idea or not, given their cost.

I was certainly able to resolve the sun in to a disk. But as for any other activity on the sun, I was not quite sure if I could see them.

To be honest though, I only grabbed 5 minutes to go out and check out the sun with my binoculars and my solar filters. At present, I would say that anyone interested in observing the sun through binoculars do 1 thing. Find someone else with binoculars of similar magnification and solar filters and see what you get to see.

Of course, I did have some tree branches in my way - and there were thin clouds sometimes partially obscuring my view of the sun (they were relatively transparent though).

So we will see - I hope to do more observations with my binoculars with solar filters and the sun - and see what there is to be seen. It is certainly possible that today was a relatively inactive day to observe the sun, and that resolving a nice big disk was a good thing. We shall see.

Anyway, $328 for my binoculars - 2 observations equals $164 per observation. And it was very impressive to see the size of the sun. It makes you realize just how large and how close it must be, when all the other stars we can observe with 10X50 binoculars (Orion Telescope UltraView Long Eye relief binoculars) are only just small pinpoints.

Abwägen

No comments: