Wednesday, January 12, 2005

News and Information on the Web

There is an obligation of the news carriers of the world that have made a partial transistion to the web.
That obligation is to keep their news articles available indefinitely on the same links that they are originally created.

For example, in some of my previous articles, I have written about items that use references to news articles. But if the news carrier should choose to stop hosting those articles, the references become useless in my article - nothing more than broken links.

Another point is that IT people and marketing savants like to change things. Well, if they change their website and how articles are referenced on the website - this means that older links will no longer work and more than likely people will be unable to get to information made available previously.

This presents a problem for my articles. I am going to save in Word documents the contents of these links - but even if I do and something should occur to make those articles no longer available - I cannot present them to the public - because of copyright concerns.

So it would seem the effort to keep my articles intact, even if the publisher removes the referenced articles from their website will not bear fruit.

Abwägen

No comments: